Geography at Lucas Vale aims to inspire in pupils a fascination and curiosity about the world and its people. Teaching aims to equip pupils with a knowledge about diverse places, people and environments, together with a deeper understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes.
Geographical information is taught to be communicated in a variety of ways, including through maps, graphs and pieces of writing.
Key focus this year in the teaching and learning Geography:
- Clearly teach, encourage and model the use of key geographical vocabulary in verbal conversations and written responses.
- Embed the teaching of chronology into each single topic to secure a solid understanding of time and place.
- Teach and model how to use primary and secondary sources to acquire knowledge of key events in history. Use these sources to identify different interpretations of the same events.
- Encourage children to challenge the ‘provenance’ of a source – Upper Key Stage 2.
- Motivate and encourage children to derive their own questions to form an enquiry about.
- Carry out regular field trips to aid learning in Geography
- Assess children on