At Lucas Vale, learning in PE is based on the keys skills in the new National Curriculum to ensure development for each individual across the school. These skills are taught explicitly during PE lessons and through cross-curricular avenues, especially science, numeracy and whole school events such as Application Focus Weeks. All children receive a minimum of two hours of PE delivered by the class teachers. Children in Years 4 and 5 receive weekly half hour swimming lessons by qualified coaches at the Wavelengths Leisure Centre in Deptford.
Teachers aim to:
- Inspire children to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities
- Enable children to become physically confident in a way in which supports their health and fitness
- Build character and help embed values such as fairness, respect and determination
We are mindful that many families will require activities for their children in the summer holidays this year, more than ever.
For your information:
• We have developed policy and protocols for these activities that meet the latest Public Health England guidance on Covid-19
• We have discretion to apply a discount to children eligible for a Free School Meal