At Lucas Vale, we set out to ‘first develop and maintain curiosity’ in our pupils. Without curiosity and wonder children lose their natural inclination to observe the world, ask questions of it and investigate to find answers. We make sure that science at Lucas Vale is child led and enquiry based.
Our aim is to ensure that pupils:
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through biology/chemistry/physics.
- Develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of enquiry that help answer questions about the world around them.
- Are equipped with the scientific knowledge to understand the uses and implications of science today and in the future.
- Are scientifically literate members of society if nothing else!
Our Science Principles
When we do science:
- We need to learn through practical ‘hands on’ investigations as much as we can.
- We need questions to investigate, make us think, understand and progress.
- We need to learn together collaboratively and learn from each other.
- We need the teacher to be enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the topic.
- We need great resources to help us learn.
- We need to learn within familiar contexts we recognise and can relate to.
Whenever we can, we also need to learn outside the classroom and by having science visitors in school.
Children should be learning science through active investigations and enquiry based learning.
Children should be encouraged to argue about and debate science concepts …a lot!
Children should be encouraged to be scientific and ask questions about the world around them!
Please view Lucas Vales Science Curriculum overview below