Lucas Vale’s Curriculum Intent Statement
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” Nelson Mandela
Aspirational, Brave, Compassionate, Determined and Enlightened.
It is the intent of the Phoenix federation that we build learning experiences and sequence which will equip our children; to live joyfully, seeking truth and wisdom, to command the knowledge, skills and moral purpose required to provide leadership within our community, our city, our country and our world. We intend these children, our children, to be able to imagine and create the possibilities of the future, to unpick and restitch a world with equity and justice at its heart.
We have developed a local, relevant and decolonised curriculum which is broad and balanced, covering all the objectives and requirements of the National Curriculum. This is delivered using a topic-based approach. Through trips and special days, we aim to provide further enrichment and cross curricular opportunities. Our skills documents for each subject ensure a progressive approach throughout the school.
At the heart of our curriculum lies the Phoenix values. These are the essence of our teaching and learning. It is our vision that every child leaves Lucas Vale rooted in the following values:
• Be prepared to meet and face challenges; build new opportunities for ourselves, our families, our community.
• Be able to imagine and create the possibilities of the future.
• Be a champion for what is right, challenge injustice.
• Be unique, take a pride in our people, our heritage, our history.
• Be able to stand alone for what is right.
• Be warm hearted, helpful, kind, and funny.
• Be mindful of the interdependence of all living things.
• Be courageous and resilient, disciplined in the face of fear; embrace setbacks as a prelude to success.
• Live joyfully with purpose, seeking truth and wisdom.
• Be the light and the leaven for all around us.
If you’d like further information about our curriculum, please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with one of our curriculum leads.
Subject overviews and skills documents can be found in individual subject areas.