Below are the key aspects that are integral to our approach:
- To be fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics; including written calculation strategies and basic number facts such as number bonds or times tables.
- To reason mathematically by following lines of enquiry and using accurate mathematical language to explain ideas. This is embedded throughout (including during Application Focus Week) and takes the form of talk maths using a variety of questioning styles.
- To gain confidence when problem solving: some children can feel anxious of maths and can become demotivated from quite a young age. Much of the problem solving work we do at Lucas Vale is based on discussion and links directly to our aim of reasoning mathematically. Children in every year group are exposed to open ended problems that require creativity along with mathematical understanding. We take great pride in our children’s ability to not only solve problems but create them which enables them to consolidate their learning of key concepts.
- To have a strong understanding of mental maths strategies. To help our children adopt mental approaches, we use many visual models as well as physical movement so that they understand the relationship between numbers and the four main operations.
In order for children to become confident mathematicians who choose to challenge themselves at every opportunity, we focus on ensuring quality first teaching. Teaching of mathematics at Lucas Vale focuses on:
- Teaching that develops pupils’ understanding of key concepts.
- Enabling all pupils to make substantial progress and feel challenged during the lesson.
- High expectations of pupils’ enjoyment and achievement.
- Teachers foster an enthusiastic spirit of enquiry and develop pupils’ reasoning skills.
- Problem-solving and investigation are integral to learning mathematics.
- Emphasis on accurate use of technical language.
In addition, in order to further promote enjoyment, enthusiasm and to support progress and overall attainment, the school subscribes to Mathletics, a popular home learning tool that encourages our pupils to continue to develop their mathematical skills outside of school. Every class also has access to iPads to assist them with their mathematical learning.
Please view Lucas Vales Maths Curriculum overview below
The Maths Zone
Lots of helpful hints, resources and tips to help with your child’s mathematics learning.
The White Rose Scheme of Mathematics Learning
At Lucas Vale, all pupils from Year one to Year six follow the White Rose scheme of learning. Teachers follow this scheme aiming to build confidence and resilience in their learners through teaching a mastery approach to maths.